TL;DR: Curse Client v5 is being phased out, and all of its functionality is being added to the Curse app. This will occur for WoW mod users in the near future, and for other Curse modding communities later. We’ll have a way for WoW mod users who want to check it out earlier to opt-in and provide feedback before we complete everyone’s migration to the app.
The Curse app is leveling up with World of Warcraft addons! We’re bringing streamlined addon management to you as an all-in-one solution for WoW players.
Evolution of WoW mod management
Curse has been given full buffs for WoW, including support for both PC and Mac, rich chat embeds with loot linking and complete tooltips, character profiles to show off your current progress, and easy guild syncing to create a server to play in. We have everything you need to prepare for Legion and hit it hard on launch day!
Here at Curse, we put our users first. We want to deliver the most streamlined and best supported experience possible, and the prime way to do this is by offering addons within the Curse app. We recognize that the current addon client hasn’t been receiving the rich support that the community needs -- this migration allows us to provide a first-class WoW experience that will make addon use and maintenance better for everyone, new and veteran players alike.
The features that you already know and love within the Curse Client v5 have received updates with their migration to the Curse app to improve usability and enhance player experience. Everything will work similarly to the way it does in the Curse Client v5 with added clarity and better UI. The features you've been experiencing for free currently in the v5 client will remain free with the migration to the app, and we're even adding more free features. Premium subscriptions will also continue to be available for purchase.
Item linking with tooltips
Let’s round up the major features that become available with the migration:
- Full Mac support
- Expanded localization support for many more languages
- No more ads
- Memory usage remains very low, even with full access to the feature-rich Curse app
We’re also rolling out a TON of new WoW features to the Curse app:
- Easy guild server creation with loads of customization options for permissions and channels
- Armory profile syncing to keep your character sheets up-to-date within the Curse app
- Faction themes for Horde and Alliance
- Full item linking support to show off loot, complete with tooltips
- Guild polls can be used to help make decisions, like preferred raid nights
- Enhanced game overlay to easily coordinate gameplay during voice calls
Armory profile syncing
The full migration process will happen in stages. We expect everything to transition smoothly and easily, but we’re ready to support you if you experience any issues. You can always reach out to us if you need in-depth guidance or discover bugs via the links below.
- Stage one is rolling out WoW addons to the alpha Curse app. All alpha users will be able to check out the new World of Warcraft tab on the left navigation bar and immediately be able to access addon management.
- The second stage will push WoW addons to the live Curse app. The Curse app will also become the default download for new WoW addon users during this stage.
- The third stage will begin the migration of WoW Curse Client v5 users to the Curse app -- the client will provide information about the migration and point users to the Curse app. For a promotional period (30 days from the start of the migration), we are offering Curse app premium addon features (excluding addon sync) to app users during this stage as a thank you for trying it out early. (Updated 7/29/2016 to clarify details around the premium incentive that will be available).
- The fourth and final stage will migrate all remaining Curse Client v5 users to the Curse app. The client will ask users to install the Curse app to continue managing their WoW addons.
Thank you for your continued support and dedication as we move into the next evolution of Curse. We appreciate each and every one of you, and we want your voice to always be heard. Make sure to leave any feedback you have inside the app via the feedback submission form in the help menu. If you need help or have any questions, please visit our Knowledge Base or reach out to us on our Twitter account.