I'm totally at a loss on what to try next. I don't see how anything that is stored server side could affect the addon but after wrestling with this for hours now I really can't figure it out. Any help would be appreciated.
You could try deleting (make a backup first) the bad account's SavedVariables directory. Might be something bad in there somewhere.
Earlier tonight I deleted the WTF directory completely and just started from scratch. I didn't mind reconfiguring things, but that didn't help matters.
I had been running CharcoalUI and Discord Action Bars put your buttons all over the place in comparison to the blizzard action bars. After I posted earlier I remembered that with the old addon RangeHelp you had to have wingclip on the melee bar in order for it to detect melee range correctly. So with that in mind I removed all the skills from all the buttons. I even loaded Charcoal UI again to empty all of the odd action bars that it uses. I then loaded up with an empty WTF directory and added ranged skills to the page 1 and melee skills to page 2 and told hunterbars to use page 2. It still didn't work. Then for some reason I decided to do a /console reloadui and bingo that fixed it. Don't know what exactly it was in that sequence of things that did it but ultimately it is working beautifully.
Maybe this information will help someone else someday. Thanks for all the great mods!