so..step-by-step guide to get all herba/mining nodes in cartographer (from zero):
1. go to http://gathereraddon.com/dl/Gatherer/gatherer-184.108.40.206.zip and download the old gatherer version
2. change toc version to 20000
3. donwload the tsv files from http://gather.reet.org
4. download and install that .NET application mentioned there
5. download and install the Perl runtime mentioned there
6. enter wow with the gatherer addon enabled and the exit
7. run the .NET app, select the \WTF\Account\XXX\\SavedVariables\Gatherer.lua file (that just appeared there)
8. import the tsv files with the .NET app into the Gatherer.lua
9. enter WoW and exit (this will reformat the Gatherer.lua to the proper syntax)
10. download the perl script from http://www.exiledguild.us/zj/converter/convert.pl.txt
11. copy Gatherer.lua to where u downloaded the pl file (renamed)
12. run the perl script (this should generate the "Cartographer_Mining.lua" and "Cartographer_Herbalism.lua" files
13. copy them both into the SavedVariables folder
You have to download the Cartographer Icon addon, AND The addons for Gatherer and/or MetaMap.
You then have to put the Gatherer.lua or Metamap.lua (or both, depending on what you're importing) IN the Cartographer Import Directory.
These .lua's are in your SAVED VARIABLES directories in the Wow/WTF folders.
Log in the game - You should get SPAMMED with a ton of Cartographer Import messages. This is good - This means the things are catually getting imported. Check your Map. You'll probably see a bunch of Black Squares with Red ?'s in them.
All that's left is to just ENABLE Cartographer Icon's. I didn't realize it didn't 'come' enabled. You have to go to your cargorapher menu, Click Icon Packs, and click Metamap and/or Gatherer. POOF! It works great. :)