Odd - I have Broker_Professions, and I could swear it works in combat. Granted I've never tried to build a Helicopter while healing an Archimonde raid, but I could swear it works. Just odd.
Hrm, if tradeskills don't work, that'd be a real case for Secure Buttons. However my comment from before remains: Does it need to be LDB? (see TradesBar for example)
The main reason for asking this is that from what I understand it'd be a huge addition and would likely (?) cause considerably code-bloat in the process.
And if the gains are fairly limited in total number I'd find it codewise smarter to use specialized addons for those cases and keep LDB lean and mean. If that makes sense.
CastSpellByName taints with everything except professions. But you missed the point: being able in combat to: cast spells (that are not professions), set targets and execute cycling macro on them, or applying a weapon buff that just vanished, or whatever is possible with secure stuff (alot!).
It could be an ultra small addition. For exemple, I use a modified version of SBC that works with secure blocks. All I added is ", obj.secureTemplate" in an existing line, added the line "if obj.OnCreate then obj.OnCreate(obj, block) end", and added a check "if not obj.secureTemplate then *existing_code_here* end" to not apply a script, and it's working ! Not bloated at all and add a great deal of possibilities !
But the last part is not really satisfying (well it is for me but not necessary for others :p). It requires a solution that lets displays and plugins use scripts/attributes in a non-conflicting/non-bloated way.
Too bad there's very few authors that know how secure stuff works. It will probably take longer to find an elegant solution.
The problem isn't with secure stuff. The problem is when you try to mix secure with non-secure stuff, for instance anchoring them together, then trying to modify settings of the non-secure plugins while in combat, or worse having the plugins modify attributes automatically, eg resize text width to fit better in a frame, based on events or timed updates. You can postpone/queue/deny that update to avoid action blocked but that is also wrong, because the display wouldn't really be doing what was intended. Bottom line, 9/10 times the non-secure stuff will frak things up.
Addons like SBC and perhaps ButtonBin are the least affected by this (they can still taint if you attach/stick secure to non-secure), but I'm willing to bet, a lot of people would whine.
I've noticed for a while that the bin does not properly resize itself to accomodate plugins whose text length changes greatly. For example, the plugin Junkie shows me the name and vendor sell value of the least valuable item in my inventory. Obviously, this tends to change, and can be anything from "[Bat Fang]" to "[Gargantuan Axe of the Enormous Name]". I have my bin configured to use a maximum width; when the plugin's text is too long to fit on the row, it should get pushed to a new row. However, most of the time, it does not do so, leaving 90% of the plugin's text hanging off the visible bin. This still occurs in the new version you posted.
Stufmenatooba: Very strange. Could you send me your ButtonBin.lua saved variables or show me screenshots of the configuration panels? I can't reproduce it.
Phanx: Yes, known issue. I'll look at it today. Essentially I optimized the case where block changed often (think fps, clock, memory and other frequently updated displays). I resize them dynamically without taking into account the size of the bin, so I don't have to recalculate all positions. However of obvious reasons when greater changes occur this doesn't work. My optimization needs to be smarter.
Thanks, that helped. I think the problem was solved when I fixed the other issues related to mouseover visibility. I'd like the version r45 tested (available from wowace and soon from curse.com) to make sure that the following issues are fixed:
- Resizing problems when the contents of a block changes greatly.
- Mouse over visibility issues, especially relating to collapsing the box.
- Stuf's problem with the box seemingly resizing by itself.
Click to download r45
Good idea - I haven't even considered that option. I'll make this a per-bin and per block option I think.
Thanks very much; honestly, it could just be global (for all bins, all tooltips) to start off since that should be easier to code... and I personally can't see myself setting the scale for individual tooltips (although it might be nice to have a "per bin" tooltip scaling option now that I think of it). ;)
Due to the way it's coded, it's actually not at all harder for me to do it on every level vs just a specific level. One issue is that this will not work in all cases but only for addons where ButtonBin creates the tooltip. For example any block using TabletLib will not properly adhere to this setting.
Edit: I've checked in the tooltip scaling code. I'm not releasing a new beta/release version yet though.