I am experiencing the same issue. I've installed WAU on a new computer I built myself over the weekend. Currently, the computer has a 64-bit Windows Vista installed, WoW, Vent, Adobe Acrobat, Firefox, and Flash, Kaspersky Internet Security 7, WAU and nothing else.
I open WAU, select one addon to be updated (I copied my Interface folder from my old computer) and choose update marked addon. It begins to run and then says "Error During Update". I tried adjusting the World of Warcraft folder to allow everyone full control over the folder. There are not other users for this PC (except my mother if she's vising, and she knows more about computers than I do), so this is a security feature in Vista I'm not fond of. Anyone have other suggestions for how to resolve this "Error during update" issue?
I just purchased a Vista Machine, AMD Turion 64. Now I am currently experiencing this same error. With me - which I have not noticed anyone else mention in this thread - the error continuously cycles through without ever stopping. It just keeps going like lamb chop. *see Screenshot*
I run WoW from an external drive (F:\WoW\World of Warcraft) and WAU from it's default install location. I noticed that if I - after reading this thread - only change the permissions to the WoW folder; I continue to get the error. I had to change the permissions to the drive itself (F:\).
I can no longer get the error to occur, however: I am not sure if any updating is taking place as the "Last Change" dates appear to have remained the same.
If you move a drive from one PC to another, you can have permission issues also. This can also happen when booting to different windows OS installs on the same machine.
The permission issue is easily identified as shown in the above link (look at the screenshot). Just try it from your own addon directory.
Also, check that the folders are not read-only.
The issue with program files is due to an inherited permission from the program files directory. Thats why moving it out of there to somewhere it wont inherit the the restrictions on directory creation solves the problem. You can also change the directory permissions on the wow directory so they dont inherit permissions from their containing folder, then set whatever permission you like and tell it to set it for the current folder and all files and subfolders.
I believe i have seen mention of issues with virtualization after installing wow using its installer on a vista machine, but i dont remember all the details.
Its really just easier to move the wow folder out of program files under vista.
I think I even added a message box which lets you know about the permissions problem, though it might be in the version on codeplex, and not in the one on wowace.com. Not sure.