I had this problem last week. It has to do with the .NET Framework I believe, or the ClickOnce install application, or both. In any case, finding a fix for it was overwhelming so I just reinstalled windows on my 2nd HDD as to save all the content on my 1st one.
I think one of the recent security patches changed settings on applications in the Program Files directory. I was having the problems too, and after reading about some problems that Vista users were having (I"m running XP) I thought I'd check all the same. Seems the WoW folder had a read only attribute set on it, so I cleared that for it and all subfolders and the program seems to run fine again (which is that I was able to start it, run it, and exit it without it throwing up the error.
Nope:( that didn't fix it. I even tried removing the read-only attribute for the WAU directory. No change. In fact, you can make that change and then a moment later go back and look. It looked like it changed something, even told you to wait while it did... but it didn't. That is default behaviour for any parent directory in XP. It hasn't been a problem for the past 3 years at least. I sure hope it gets fixed soon, because I'm trying to avoid going back to using the .svn.
*shrugs* if I must, then I must. Would someone please give us a heads-up?
After reading elsewhere in this forum that someone thought that it might have to do with ads (what ads?) I decided to try a couple of things. I added www.files.wowace.com to my trusted sites under security, and then I also added it as an allowed site under the pop-up manager. I am running winXP with service pact 2. This OS has been rock solid for well over 2 years. Why would this suddenly be the problem of the OS, whether it be XP or Vista? The permission settings for users make no difference at all in XP. I am an administrator on my machine.
Not fussing here, just trying to help whittle away at the symptoms so the problem is apparent.
Ah, just saw the post about running the .NET2.0 installer again. I'll be back to let you know if that fixed it.
I had a horribly long day at work, once I get a few beers in my I will read and heed all the posts. Thanks for the replies ya'll, I hope I don't have to roll back some security patches, thats always such a pain in the ass.
After getting frustrated with the failure to uninstall .NET I came here and found that y'all had posted a link to a blog that discussed that very problem. I used the tool, all 3 .NETs were removed and I was able to get the SP1 for all 3. Other than the WAU app hanging on the last file of the group that I had requested the update for, it is working once again. Maybe a little faster than it has for the last few days. I guess what I'm trying to say is that it is better, but I do believe there are other issues involved here. For my own sake, I am quite thankful to have this updater working. For the programmer's sake... I can only say that I'm glad I'm not you guys ;) Thanks for keeping this updater doing its thing!