It looks like it just yoinks the versions from the HTML. I'm not sure if this is faster or slower than the XML. I assume the XML are static files, I don't know if the HTML is or isn't. If it's dynamic, it's not necessarily that good. But then, I don't see any reason for the HTML to be dynamic ^^. So it could be better, since all those XML files are larger than the HTML is (at the cost of WUU having to do more work). Of course, I could be completely and totally wrong, it's a pretty complex program.
Ok, this thread has exploded since I checked it this morning (but had no time to answer then).
I'll clear up how WUU works with WoWAce quickly:
1) We use index.html for versions right now, I'll code in support for latest.xml and latest-noext.xml ASAP (I was hoping to port the XML code over to ElementTree instead of minidom first, but I'll do a quick job of using the preferred files, Kaelten ;)) This is also why version checking/upgrading works in 1.4 (and 1.2, I believe) right now.
2) latest.txt is only used if the user has disabled the version cache (not very likely, since it's slower)
3) descript.ion is only used for the "Install from WoWAce" feature.
And finally: Yes, we should've moved to the XML files long time ago (sorry :( ), but we were focused on getting 1.4 out without breaking stuff late in the beta cycle. These changes, however, will be added to 1.4 since we can't have a non-functional install feature.
Incidentally, there have been some bug reports regarding the "install from WoWAce" feature, due to non-ascii characters in descript.ion, which will all clear up when we move to latest*.xml ;)
Sorry about the lack of response, I've barely had any spare time since last Wednesday :(
* Changed WoWAce code to use the RSS feeds for both version checking and the "Install from WoWAce" dialog
* Bugfix: The change above should fix the "'ascii' codec can't decode byte (...)" in "Install from WoWAce"
Here we go :)
I'll bump this to "stable" unchanged if there's no bugs reported in the new code when I wake up tomorrow ;) (EDIT: Might be buggy, coded in less than an hour, with spare time to grab something to eat :P)