Hi, i was just wondering if someone could please take this project on. it hasn't been updated since 2011 and a lot of people are requesting for it to be updated. Its a great addon but seems to have died along with many others within the last year or so.
1. When posting about a specific addon, please include a link to the addon, so people can help you without having to spend time on Google figuring out what you're talking about.
2. NotesUNeed is not licensed under terms which would allow others to publish modified versions, so even if someone wanted to update it, they'd have to get permission from the original author. (You can see on its project page that it's marked as "All Rights Reserved".) Even though you can just open an addon's files in Notepad and look at its source code, it's still a copyrighted work of software.
3. Is the addon even actually broken? If so, you should be specific about what doesn't work, and how it doesn't work (eg. error messages, strange behavior, "just does nothing"). There haven't really been any significant API changes since patch 4.1 (when the last version was released) so there should not really be any need for updates. I still have a number of addons that are working with no changes since 2007. If you're not already using the "Load out of date addons" checkbox on the addon list screen, start using it. The vast majority of addons don't need to be updated for every patch, and many addon authors don't bother posting an "update" that doesn't actually change anything.
4. If it really is broken, have you looked around for other addons that provide similar features? If you're having trouble finding some, be specific about which features of NotesUNeed you actually use, and which ones you can't find replacements for.
5. Finally, if you're seeing an unusually high number of addons fall into disrepair lately, it's probably because a new expansion is coming up, and many people -- addon authors included -- are taking a break from the game until the expansion goes live. If you've been playing for a long time, you may have noticed the same thing happening before other expansions. If the addon still works for now, you should wait until after the expansion comes out before giving up on it entirely.