I'm going to describe two ways you can join us on IRC.
A. Use Gaim.
The preferred way if you're already using some form of IM system, such as AOL, MSN Messenger and ICQ, and/or if you want an easy-to-use, lightweight client. Highly recommended. Read about Gaim [Here].
1. If you haven't already, download and install Gaim from the link provided above.
2. When you start Gaim for the first time, you should get the Accounts window up. If you've been using Gaim before, open up your Accounts window from the Tools-menu (or by pressing Ctrl-A) now.
3. Click the Add button.
4. Enter the following info in the dialogue that appears: Protocol: IRC Screen Name: (The screen name/nickname you want) Server: irc.freenode.net
You can leave the rest of the options at default values (mostly blank)
Click Save to save the account.
5. In the Online-column, click the checkbox. Gaim will now connect to the IRC network. (Optionally, you may click the checkbox in the Auto-login too to automatically connect to the network when Gaim starts.) Close the Accounts window.
6. In the Buddy List window, click the Chat button at the bottom (or if you've removed that button, open the Buddies menu and click Join a Chat there).
7. In the dialouge that appears, type "##ace" (without the quotes) in the Channel field, and click Join. If you have more than one account set up, you might have to select the account you made in step 4 in the Account dropdown-box.
8. You're now in the channel! Now we only have one more thing to do. In the Conversation menu, click Add... and if you want, type an Alias and/or a Group for the channel in the dialogue that appears. Then click Add. (Optionally, in your buddy list, right click the "buddy" you just added and select Auto-Join if you want to immediately join the chat each time you connent to the network.)
9. Chat away! Also, I recommend you ditch any other IM client you have and instead just add more accounts in Gaim, it supports a lot of services. Check the Gaim site for more help on that!
B. Traditional IRC Client
The preferred way if you're an IRC power-user and need more functionality than Gaim provides, and/or you have an IRC client you regularly use.
1. If your client supports it, try clicking [this link] (I know mIRC and HydraIRC work, others might too). If that fails, join manually on Server:irc.freenode.net Channel: ##ace (You should know how if you're using this method ;))
2. Start chatting :mrgreen:
If you have any trouble or questions, post em here.
Random: When you click that link, HydraIRC (assuming you're using that) should join the channel automagically for you. If that's not the case, please tell wha tDOES happen.
You can try to manually join by starting HydraIRC, typing '/server irc.datavertex.com', close the dialogue that pops up (it's asking if you want tosearch for and join a public channel, but we don't need that since we know the channel name), then in the new window type '/join #ace101'. You should now be in the channel. This procedure should work for any IRC program too (minus the part about channels, which might vary from client to client). Gool luck!