I think we're going to stick with the third-party packager for now. It removes the need to maintain a second copy of the repo on Curse (now we only need to push to GitHub) and also uploads the ZIPs to WoWInterface at the same time.
I have the same packager issues with AllPlayed and ShuckIt. I'm guessing the fix only applied to Grid or it's not working. Should I open a ticket somewhere about it or you guys are already working on it anyways.
Here's the status for now. I've removed all tags in both ShuckIt and AllPlayed. I did new local clones and I validated that all the tags have been removed.
In ShuckIt, I was able to get a new Alpha done and everything seems OK. I then tag the HEAD as v70000-1-beta-1 and the beta release was processed properly. It appears the problem is solved for ShuckIt.
In AllPlayed, when I did a normal push to generate a new Alpha, the packager generated all the zip files for the tags I used to have. The new alpha is generated but the project site displays v30100-1 as the current release.