I have been noticing problems with them Processor usage of my computer while playing WoW. While it is idle, it runs at 0% usage. When I open WoW, it sky rockets to 100% usage. I decided to compare it to my Brother's computer, idle and while playing WoW. Idle, his runs at 0% as well, but while playing WoW, it only runs at about 30%. My Processor is better, and I also have more RAM(1.5 Gigs) but his graphics card is better. Here are some more details:
Processor: Pentium 4 3.06 Ghz
RAM: 1.5 Gigs(2x512 and 2x 256)
Graphics Card: 128 MB(Drivers Updated)
So my questions; Why, if my Processor is better, is WoW using 100% of my processor, yet about 30% of my brothers, with a worse processor? It also makes WoWs performance worse. This was tested without Mods just in case.
Oh, and he is also running many more background programs than I. Thankyou.
Relative processor usage is pretty much irrelevant when it comes to performance. WoW (as any DirectX application I believe) will always try to catch as much processor time as it can - and if it doesn't slow down your other apps why shouldn't it?
That WoW is using about 30% of CPU cycles on that laptop only shows that there're some heavy background progs running and I'm suprised it isn't showing up as low FPS in WoW.
It's not like the CPU can do anything "better" with those cycles anyway.
FPS is all that matters from a perfomance standpoint.
1) His cpmputer is a desktop, I've no clue why he is using a Laptops Processor.
2) We both used the same settings in WoW, everything lowered down completely and no sound.
3) My computer is clean. I run virus/spyware programs weekly. His, though, I am not sure about.
4) I know enough about computers to keep my machine running at peek performance.
5) I can't run a Benchmark program as I am on my computer ATM.
6) I have virtually no background programs(save for the needed ones) running while playing WoW. He has quite a few.
So I checked again for the processor usage while playing WoW with his background programs and it was even lower than I first said. It fluctuates between 10 - 25% CPU usage. With that, he averages 50 FPS. On Average I get about 30 FPS...
Anyways, thanks for the help so far, when I get home I am going to try a few things. :)