Up to 4.0.1 I used Cirk's Chatmanager which fit my chat needs nearly perfect. Unfortunately it stopped working and it doesn't even give an error message. So I'm afraid I won't be able to resurrect it this time.
I'm looking for one or more addons that do the following:
1. Keybindings for chat channnels: /party /raid /battleground /guild /officer and min. chat channels no. 1-9
2. Enables easy joining and leaving of chat channels (custom channels like DalaranBooks or things like that) maybe via rightclick menu or similar
3. Show the people in a given chat channel with a mouseclick (so that I can see a list with everybody in my private channel or any other channel)
I looked through the chat addon categories but couldn't find one. Any Ideas?
I use Chatter as my chat addon. Not sure if it implements any of the features you're talking about the way you want them. Here's how I do what you're asking about.
1) I use "/p foo" "/r foo" "/1 foo" etc. to talk on which channel I want. It then keeps the channel you last said anything on as the default.
2) /join DalaranBooks, /leave DalaranBooks
3) broker_channel displays who's in each custom chat chat channel, broker_altguild shows me who's online in the guild. Both need an LDB display, obviously, and broker_channel hasn't been updated to 4.0.1 yet (I don't think).
You can also just bind a key to the chat panel in the Blizzard key bindings menu, or click the Chat tab on the social window, to see who's in each chat channel you're in. I don't really see the use for a shortcut to this already easy-to-access information; it's hardly something you ever need to know OMG RIGHT NOW.
@phanx: Good solution for that part.
@Tirdal: Thanks for that tip, did you mean broker_channelwatch or is there another addon named broker_channel somewhere?
Edit: broker_channelwatch looks good but doesn't work in 4.01
@Tirdal: I know I can do
by typing that and I know I can leave it that same way ... but I really hate it.
But I can't find a place to bind shortcuts to channel names in Blizzards shortcuts options - I might be blind but they seem not to be there. I really like using shortcuts like ctrl-b for battlegroundchat or ctrl-whatever for my private channels instead of looking up its number and I know others that do as well. It's especially useful if you participate in discussions in several channels at the same time. You'll never accidently write something in /2 that you wanted to write in /g (like so many people do) if you ALWAYS only use your shortcuts.
So I'm still looking for a mod that allows those keybindings. Maybe there is a mod that allows custom keybindings?
Depends on what changed that's causing it to not work. All of Cirk's addons are pretty old, so without having looked at the code, I'd say you should look for places checking for global event and argN variables, which were removed in the patch. You wouldn't get a Lua error from if event == "SOME_EVENT" then, but it would also stop evaluating to true.
The main function I used from Cirk's that I am missing massively is the ability to reorder your channels so that 8 is always the same channel on all your characters for example. Is there any mod that can replicate that functionality?