Ok I've an Idea for an addon to help me out when I'm in a raid/party to quickly see attack power and see when my trinkets/enchants have cast.
Now most of you will think just hit c, well in a Ulduar raid this isn't practical.
The Idea for this is just a little bit more than displaying the AP points.
1 - display AP with colour grading for the amount you have
2 - log beneficial spells and the amounts it increases your AP (could also log agility)
3 - Logs standard AP, raid buffed max and max attackpower during fights (like critline to a degree)
4 - shouts to your screen when new max reached.
I've looked about for attack power addons and there aren't many stand alone unless they are part of something bigger and of no use to my shaman.
1) Why do you care what your actual attack power is in the middle of combat? Are you going to do something different if you have 4010 attack power instead of 4000?
2) Get any of the dozens of available addons that alert you when something procs. Any combat text addon can do this. Many buff addons can show specific selected buffs separately, so you could show proc buffs huge in the middle of the screen. And there are addons that are completely dedicated to watching your procs.
3) Any time I have wanted to see a stat like attack power in the middle of combat, I've never had any problems as a result of simply opening my character sheet. It doesn't intercept keypresses and it doesn't cover up more than 1/4 of your screen width, so you can just keep doing whatever you are doing while you pop it open, look at the stat you want to see, and close it.
I've got scrolling combat text installed, but can in no way get it to show an increase to this as an event (ive tryed a few things) Looked through curse for a buff to advise of this again nothing showed up without downloading every buff addon and manually testing it.
yea you are right about hitting c, so what pressing c still doesn't let me know at a quick glance how my Ap has been hadded when casting "strenght of earth totem" without going and figuring it out. or if the buffs you got in raid last night someone used a different spell on you to get hight amount.
but then why have it. when pressing c gives you the total in the end.
I understand how enhancement shamans work, and I understand that attack power is important to all physical damage classes. That still doesn't mean that you need to know what your exact attack power is at every moment.
Let's say you're at 4200 attack power, and you're fighting a boss. Let's say that your Mirror of Truth trinket procs and gives you an extra 1000 attack power, pushing you up to 5200 attack power.
Are you going to do anything differently because your attack power is at 5200 instead of 4200? Unless you're playing a different game than every enhancement shaman, feral druid, rogue, death knight, arms warrior, fury warrior, ret paladin, and hunter I've ever raided with, you're not.
However, I'm guessing that that there are things you would do differently because a trinket procs. For example, if you see your "chance on hit" trinket proc, you might activate your "on use" trinket, or pop your haste potion, or activate Shamanistic Rage.
None of those things, however, have anything to do with the actual amount of attack power you have at any time.
Why do you need to know the exact amount of attack power you gain from your Strength of Earth Totem? What happens when you have Blessing of Kings active too? Would you want to see the base amount granted by Strength of Earth, and then separately see the additional amount granted by the interaction between Blessing of Kings and Strength of Earth?
It sounds like what you really want is actually three things:
1) Something to notify you when short-term effects like trinkets proc. You don't need to see that the proc from the Mirror of Truth added 1000 attack power, nor is there any way for an addon to reliably attribute your attack power increasing by 1000 to the buff gain, because that information is not included in anything retreivable through the API, and because if you gain two effects that increase your attack power in a short period of time, it would be impossible to tell for sure which happened first. There's no guarantee that if you get Buff X for 100 attack power and then 1/4 of a second later you get Buff Y for 100 attack power that your actual attack power will change by 100 and then 1/4 of a second change again by 100, both because the attack power gain may actually occur before you gain the buff, and because latency may cause you to gain the attack power from Buff Y before Buff X. You would have to manually compile a database of all buff names and how much attack power they granted, and add even more code to handle interactions between buffs. For something with so little direct relevance to gameplay, I doubt you'll have much luck finding anyone willing to put in the time and effort to develop and maintain this kind of thing.
2) Something to notify you when you're missing long-term buffs like Strength of Earth. If you have all available buffs, the number doesn't really matter. If you don't have a druid, you can't magically make a rogue able to cast Mark of the Wild on you; you just have the attack power you have, and there's nothing you can do about it.
3) Something to keep track of the highest your attack power has ever gotten.
I play my shammy different to any other I've seen in a raid.
I don't use wolfs or shamaistic rage or fire elemental untill I'm about to use herorism. Shamanistic rage only gets used when i need mana quickly to continue a fight. Trash and boss fights it seems to work as I'm pushing top 5 on total damage and dps.
You are right about what I#d like it to do.
display on screen +1000 AP with the trinkets I know thats mirror popped... lets me also see just how many times it does proc.
Don't need to see when I'm missing SoE totem, always down even with DK in raid.
3 yea would be nice to see what my highest ever AP was during a fight. and what highest unbuffed AP is.
At the moment 3601 unbuffed 8700+ buffed
So it's not something most people will want, but it is something I'd like to know and have. hence I'm learning how to make it.
You do know that your Fire Elemental isn't affected by Heroism, right? Elementals are considered "guardians", not "pets", so they don't receive the effect of buffs that affect your party or raid. You can test this yourself with a basic buff like Fortitude; you can cast the buff directly on the elemental, but if it's cast on your party or raid, the elemental won't get it.
If you're going to go ahead and try to figure out how to make an addon, and you really can't live with seeing "Reflection of Torment!" instead of "+1000 AP Mirror of Truth!", you'll probably want to start by spending some quality time on Wowhead making a list of all buffs that affect attack power, how much attack power they grant, and where they come from. In addition to there being no API to retreive the amount of attack power a particular buff adds, there is also no API to associate buffs with trinkets or other non-player sources, so you will need to include that information in your database for trinkets whose proc buffs have a different name.
having some sort of active stat display w/ alerts when modified (well alert when its increased would prob be most usefull) would be nice for any class, for example Gargoyle 2m cd arguably u would cast this at the start of a bossfight, so that it can possibly cd till bloodlust, but if the fights shorter than 4m ud want to cast it when u predict you have the most max stat buffs(haste,ap,sp etc). would also function as a raid buff checker as sorts, to see if ur missing a "type" of raid buff, could help deciding on who to replace and selecting a class with your given missing buff type. iv been using broker caster stats for my lock, tho it doesnt seem to update very well, or atleast only works at times, also it doesnt report on stats changes. if u find an addon like this please send me a pm :).
add, would also inform you passively what you can expect from raid buffs normally over a course of time that u have had the addon enabled.
u could have it change color to the assosiated stat display to green for just got boosted, red for just lost some, and white for current. keep the color change up for 2 sek or so.
would also function as a raid buff checker as sorts, to see if ur missing a "type" of raid buff, could help deciding on who to replace and selecting a class with your given missing buff type.
There are already plenty of raid buff checking addons that do this in a much more intuitive and easily readable way than showing you a stat and showing you your highest buffed value for that stat and making you guess which buffs you might have had to get it that high. If you are going to spend time writing an addon to monitor a specific stat like attack power, I'd strongly advise you to not bloat the scope by trying to include a sub-par raid buff monitor too.