My main is a hunter, and hunter dps is all about optimizing my shot rotation depending on weapon speed and lag. There are several macros to do that, and cheeky's spreadsheet for theoretical calculations.
What's missing is a very simple addon that lets me know what's really happening IG:
- how much time i've spent 'idle' (waiting for my autoshot CD) between my first shot and my last shot. That would let me know if the 1:1 dps macro (steady shot, then auto shot, rinse, repeat) is good for me or not
- how many autoshots i've fired also between my first and last shot, out of the theoretical max number. That lets me know how many free auto shots I discarded/pushed back in favor of special shots in order to minimize my idle time. The usual 3:2 macro for example casts steady shot if autoshot isn't up, which eliminates idle time but pushes back auto shots, instead of waiting for it like 1:1 does.
- Ideally the addon would list that info by fight, and a global recap of all fights, like recount does.
- Ideally, the addon would directly tell me if 1:1 or 3:2 is better for me.
It doesn't sound very hard to do to me, compared to some of the addons out here :-p, but for some reason I could not find it anywhere. Taking procs (talents, trinkets...) into account may complicate things.
I had a similar idea after getting Quartz and playing around with it. While Quartz is great for casters, it rather neglects the autoattack timer. For most classes they don't need more than what it shows, but for hunters, everything we do is balanced around our Auto Shot. The OP's idea about showing the "dead time" between Auto firing and the last special firing would be very good information for hunters (and not just something you can math out because it's very affected by reaction speed and latency).
Seeing total dead time in some sort of compiled form would also be very good for a hunter to know. That can be serious lost DPS and help a hunter determine changes they need to make to their playstyle that a spreadsheet can't truly determine in its pristine environment.
In addition, however, one thing I would dearly love to see is not just dead time... but hold-up time on Auto Shot. Steady Shot and other things can end up holding up Auto Shot which is very detrimental to DPS. A poorly executed rotation due to reaction time or latency can make a substantial difference. Being able to see every time I'm holding up Auto Shot for just how long, like how some mods show pushback, as well as a total compilation would be absolutely fantastic.
* Support for an Auto Shot timer that shows dead time since the last special and competion of Auto. Having that last portion of the bar colored perhaps, as well as numerically displayed, like latency on Quartz's cast bar?
* Support for an Auto Shot timer that will display how long an Auto Shot has been held up. A numeric note off to the side of the Auto timer would work well.
* A little more complicated, a global recap of total dead time, and total time Auto Shot was delayed. Identifying exactly when an Auto Shot is lost would be ideal (in the context of the shots fired around it rather than an exact time) but a total "hold up" time could be represented in number of Auto Shots lost as well (how's that for incentive to keep up a good rotation?).
Sorren's helps to see which shot is and will be up to maximize instant DPS, but it doesn't help you compute over time how much time or autoshots you wasted, which is very important to determine the best shot rotation, and is what i want to do.
My request is for an and-of-fight recap, not for some sort of CD timer/display.
i've spent hours on hunter's forums... everyone is arguing shot rotations based on Cheeky's theoretical spreadsheet and DrBoom tests: real tests and theory don't agree, and nobody knows why (lag ? kill command-induced delays ? wrong theory ?)
Hunters all over the WoWorld really need this addon to choose their shot rotation macro, and optimize their weapon speed/+haste gear.
both macros are to be spammed, I have them on my mouse wheel and roll that all the time.
there's normally extra code to clear the numerous error messages regarding kill command not being up.
I've checked that both macros work as they should, with the 3:2 macro (used with slower weapons where 1:1 would cause too much idle time) actually becoming a 1:1 macro when haste procs (heroism, rapid fire, aspect of the hawk) give me sufficient haste.
I've left Kill Command in the macro, as we are fairly sure it delays autoshots, too, though it shouldn't.
the question is:
- how much idle time does 1:1 cause ?
- how many auto shots does 3:2 lose ?