I checked the wiki faq page and the mod dir, but there is no install instructions.
Using the wowaceupdater puts a bunch of errors in bugsack (which I reported on trac).
1. Where do the modules go? In the cartographer directory or in the addons directory?
cartographerlod.bat seems to move them to the addons directory but they dont work there.
also the lua seems to want them inside the cartographer dir.
2. what is the filelist.wau for?
3. there seems to be several other modules separate from the ones included, do these also go into the cartographer dir? They dont seem to come up when outside.
4. What does alt-m do? right clicking the map doesn't work in one mode but does in the other.
5. how do I backup my database I have lots of info in it but I have already lost 1 zone and want to make sure I dont lose more.
6. when using wow to inspect my addons some have _ and others have  for the module names...why?
1. Running the .bat file should put the files where they belong. WAU 1.7b4 does it automagically.
2. It tells WAU what to do I suppose.
3. They're separate addons. Put them in the /addons directory.
5. Copy your Cartographer and associated module saved variables files. All your DB info is in those.
6. The ones with  and a brown name are modules that have been extracted from the basic Cartographer package.