Sometimes rolling gets boring. WoW needs a good "Paper Rock Scissors" addon. This is long overdue.
Surely something like that would be pretty simple to make and a lot of fun.
Ideally, in my mind, I would have a small bar with a paper, a rock, and a scisssor. I choose my weapon of choice, and my enemy wouldn't be able to see my choice until they chose a weapon themselves. Then both would be released in a channel of our choice.
This could potentially overtake dueling as the main means of competition among WoW players everywhere. Think of the gambling possibilities, and instead of randomly generated numbers, you choose your own destiny when rolling on loot or seeing who has to do some menial task no one else wants to.
Actually, who even needs a bar. Command line prompts would work. /PRS Rock, /PRS Paper. Hey, throw it in a Fubar plugin for dropdown menu awesomeness, even.
I have no idea how to code. This board is full of geniuses who throw out fun mods with amazing speed and great quality.
I beg of one of you to consider bringing this idea to life, if at all possible.
EXACTLY!!! And manual countdowns are iffy and take too long. I'm pretty much a master of paper rock scissors, so I don't have to cheat, but you know those guys who try to just rock it out all the time would probably cheat given any chance.
Haha, just noticed how appropriate your sig is for this topic.
I did have one thought, if someone is going to do that, there are other variants to consider and code for. I had to go find them again, but I thought it would be funny to bring up in this discussion. :)
How would a tourny work? everyone picks one of the three, the item with the most picked "wins" and those players repeat until there's only one person left? Heh that could be fun. what if 5 people pick paper and one picks scissors, none pick rock?
1. Elimination. You can continue as long as you "win" over someone else. While not good for large groups, smalls groups might like this varient. As it can keep going with everyone in, but when people start dropping off, then the chances are higher that someone else will get bumped off faster.
2. Keeping Score. Gain one point for every "Win", take away one point for every "loss". Winner is the highest after N rounds, or first to N points. (N == number of players might be a good default.)
Those are all good ideas to consider.
Never thought much about multiple entries. I like elimination myself, but I picture this for smaller groups and just having fun with anyway. For a 40 man raid something like tekkub mentioned might be a fun option or the keeping score thing too.
Haha, what about emotes to go along with it, "Jahmonzu throws ROCK!" "Jahmonzu basks in victory over SCISSORS."
To do rock paper scissors correctly (i.e.: securely) would require encryption and goes like this:
1. Alice and Bob decide to play rock-paper-scissors.
2. Alice generates a pair of cryptographically strong random numbers to be used as keys. Bob does the same.
3. Alice and Bob exchange one key with each other.
3. Alice chooses Rock, encrypts her choice first with Bob's key and then hers, sends it to Bob, and asks for Bob's second key.
4. Bob chooses Scissors, encrypts his choice first with Alice's key and then his, sends that to Alice, and asks for Alice's second key.
5. Both Alice and Bob now exchange their second keys.
6. They both decrypt each other's message and both can verify that Alice is the winner... This time. NEXT TIME ALICE!!! I'LL GET YOUUUUUUUU!!!
Two keys are necessary to prevent replay attacks using pre-generated encrypted text and keys to guarantee certain results. This procedure relies on it being computationally difficult to reverse generate a key to obtain a desired result in the final decrypted text.
I think I got the overview correct... I do have a splitting headache right now so I might have forgotten something.