Actually, I'm currently porting it to Ace2. But I'm a total lua newb. I'm doing it to learn.
What I plan to do:
- make a library for Spell DB (first, just to retrieve 'heal' type spells and avg heal amount).
- make a library for target detection.
- make a library for overheal detection.
- use SpellStatus and SpellCache
- I find the frame ugly so I may change it. (I don't like the way it extends)
- I find the config menu very ugly so I'm certainly going to add a Fubar plugin
As I said, I'm a total newbie in add-on/lua development. And I just started coding. So don't expect it to go out anytime soon.
PS : for now, the mod is called "StopTheOverheal". Any other suggestion?
PS2 : I would prefer a skilled coder take over this. I have some ideas but I don't feel I'm able to make that mod entirely.
I am going to be having a poke about with these from a learning point of view. Chances are I wont actually finish an Ace2 port of it but Ill be looking at it.
HealCom is the one I was looking at for reference. Also there is an EU Azjol-Nerub HealSync mod which also does a similar sort of thing. The AN one is better but doesnt look as good. Both use a comm channel between healers to make things accurate. Also they both use a latency check when sending info.
Ill have a look into this one as well but as I said its unlikely Ill get the time to produce a finished Ace2 version.
There's a mod called QuickHeal which has a built in casting bar which is very similar to Healing Estimator. The best part about the mod, is that it uses the addon messages from other QuickHeal + Genesis/Heart users, so the overheal bar is alot more accurate if healers in your guild use either mod.
Off-topic: I used to use Heart/Genesis for boring trash, but it's bloated and laggy as hell. Have since switched to SMH which works very well. For people who have used SMH and QuickHeal, how does QH compare?
I tried out SMH for a bit. Its a good heaing mod, for sure. A couple things that made me go back to QuickHeal:
1) Ability to use function for click-cast healing using Clique (SMH does not have this now, author said he would add it).
2) Healing-estimator style castbar
3) Communication with other raid healers using Heart, Genesis, or QuickHeal.
4) Extremely simple configuration.
SMH has mor customization, but when the going gets tough, I usually manually heal anyway.