When playing WoW I use a non enUS client and I really encounter problems with addons not translated. I asked myself, if it would be possible to setup something similar to http://norganna.org/localizer, for ace'd Addons.
It could generate automatically translation files (in Ace or Ace2 format) for addons without the need to take care of using utf-8 locale or using non-human readable characters in localizations files.
Furthermore, addons developers wouldn't have to worry much about localizations in every languages.
Just asking if some people are interested in such a thing.
There are two really different things i think:
The addon localization, that is necessary for the addon to correctly work with nonUS clients.
And the addon translation, that just give translations to the configuration and help strings for example.
Ckknight began what is i think a big work with babblelib, there is a parse library i forget name.
I think that one think needed is an "items categories" localization, so that devs wont have to manage what is a "two hands swords" again in french ...
As a french player, i would be ready to help any one that manage to work on it, by sending all the strings i could.
IMHO, any addons should be localisable at least ones that get UI (even console ui ;) ).
The goal of that tool is to give an easy way to add new translated strings for addons that already use a "localization structure" and to adapt this dictionnary to the framework used. Any WoW user could help translating addons in his language.
About "items category" in Babblelib, wouldn't it be possible to write an addon that scans Blizzard dataBase IG, using itemkey ?
Most (well written) addon's allready used item id's instead of strings to avoid localization problems. :)
Maybe, i think that's the system used by KC_items, but the localisation problems appear for example in the linkview search window, where some categories arent localized, so that this module isn't really functional on a fr client.
Example: leather remains leather and dont become "cuir", chest is not "torse" etc ...
Another simple example are bagfu and ammofu, where the "bags categories" (ammo pouch, profesion bags) are to be localized for the addon to work perfectly as intended.
I really think all you developers for the huge amount of work you do for the comunity, but i'm really asking to myself if i won't go to en client just to delete those locals problems ^^
I'm not the coder, and the only thing i can do is creating a fr localization file that will translate the content of an other one ... that's what i did for bagfu and ammo fu ...
TEXT_SOUL_BAG = "Sac d'\195\162me",
TEXT_ENCHANTING_BAG = "Sac d'enchanteur",
TEXT_HERB_BAG = "Sac d'herbes",
TEXT_ENGINEERING_BAG = "Sac d'ing\195\169nieur",
TEXT_QUIVER = "Carquois",
TEXT_AMMO_POUCH = "Giberne",
And that's what i cant do for KC_I because ... sightthere is no locales file :p