Today I suddenly started getting disconnects when farming reputation. I frequently checked my reputation tab to see my progress. I had had frequent disconnects a couple of days earlier, doing the same farm, but this time I noticed that I got disconnected as soon as I tried to view my character, reputation or pet/mount tab.
After several more disconnects, I noticed that I get disconnected only if I have a certain addon enabled. Then, because this started so suddenly and after several successful reputation viewings, and there weren't any lua errors, I decided to restart WoW entirely. And sure, I can use the addon again and not get disconnected.
So I'm wondering now in general if these kind of issues are just a client problem or if they should be mentioned to the addon authors?
I guess I should add that I'm experiencing sudden and random disconnects that aren't related to lag or my internet connection on general... up until now I haven't noticed a correlation with what I was doing at the moment so maybe they are a separate, unrelated issue.
Addons can unintentionally (or intentionally) cause disconnects. It will be helpful if you tell us which addon you think it is.
Examples of why disconnects can happen due to an addon:
- Addon tries to request too many unknown links (item, quests, etc) from the server
- Addon tries to flood the server (with addon messages)
- Addon tries to link an invalid link into a chat channel
- Addon tries to request for too much data than your Internet connection can handle (AH data all in one shot)
- Addon locks up in a loop that takes too long to complete, and server d/cs you.