About two weeks ago, the CheckFearWardFu stopped working. Its installed in the correct directory, shows up in my add-on list when I log onto WoW, appears to be loaded, but will not show up in the FuBar list of add-ons. Any ideas, pls? I really depend on this one!
I don't know what the problem was, or if it's been fixed, but a few weeks ago there was a spree of posts describing issues just like yours that were caused by WAU's failure to actually update addons. Two weeks sounds about right.
1. It's not possible to have a newer version than what is listed on files.wowace.com. The versions there are pulled directly from the wowace SVN, where developers commit their changes. A new zip is generated for the files listing every 20 minutes if there have been any changes since the last zip was created. WoWMatrix is essentially a parasite that uses wowace's bandwidth to serve you files from wowace while showing you a shiny GUI and ads that generate revenue for WoWMatrix despite the fact that they don't actually pay for the bandwidth their application uses to download addons from other websites. If WoWMatrix tells you it has a newer version than what the wowace files page lists, WoWMatrix is wrong. I would still advise you to try downloading manually from the page I linked, as your problem sounds like exactly the same problem WAU users were experiencing.
2. No. Ace2 and Ace3 addons do not conflict with each other as a result of using different frameworks. I run about 150 addons, maybe 30 of which use the Ace3 framework, maybe 70 of which use the Ace2 framework, with the other 50 a mix of other frameworks or no frameworks at all, and have never experienced any issues such as the one you describe, or any issues at all that were the result of conflicting frameworks.
Alrighty, well, the most current file I saw there was April 2008. I deleted the FearWardFu I had, and downloaded and installed this version. It still shows up in my add-on listing on the character screen, but no dice in being able to see it in the list of add-ons for FuBar :(
/dump CheckFearWardFu and "YES" or "NO"
If it prints "NO" to your chat frame, that means the addon isn't actually loading; if it's enabled at the addon screen, and not showing any messages there (such as "Missing Dependency" or "Out of date") but not loading in-game, you should be getting an error message. Check that Lua errors are enabled in your interface options, or install !BugSack/BugGrabber, and report back with the error message text.
If it prints "YES" to your chat frame, that means the addon is being loaded, but not appearing on FuBar for some reason. If this is the case, try deleting your saved variables for both FuBar_CheckFearWardFu and FuBar itself, and logging in with only FuBar and CheckFearWardFu enabled. Also make sure your copy of FuBar is up to date.
Alrighty, I typed the string in the game, and it gave a "NO" response.
I had clicked "load out of date add-ons", but I unchecked that. I also checked on "show lua errors" in interface options, and installed Bug Sack.
So, the add on is showing that it is "out of date" (the version which is found at the site you provided earlier), even though the Ace listing of add-ons is showing it was updated 2 mos. ago (after the combat log changes). This addon worked until about 2-3 weeks ago.
I'm not getting any error messages whatsoever to log here.
Actually the last revision to the addon was committed on the 19th of December, 2007; you can verify this by checking the Changelog file inside the addon's folder. All of the more recent zips are simply updates to the embedded libraries. Compare:
FuBar_CheckFearWardFu-r57211.zip = addon updated to revision 57211
FuBar_CheckFearWardFu-r57211.9.zip = 9th repack of revision 57211 with updated embedded libraries
I'll try loading the addon on my system, and see what happens.
Edit: It loads fine on my system... did you try logging in with only FuBar and FuBar_CheckFearWardFu after deleting the saved variables for both? Leave "enable out of date addons" checked on the character screen.
I hadn't tried deleting the saved variables for FuBar and CheckFWFu before, as I thought that would only be if I had received a "YES" instead of a "NO"
I went into the WTF folder, under Saved Variables for my account, and deleted the .lua and .lua.bak for both FuBar and CheckFWFu. I also moved out all Fu add-ons from my Interface directory so that the only two there were FuBar and CheckFWFu.
The first time I logged in I got a message which unfortunately I wasn't able to capture - it said something about Ace hooks (?). I went back into the game again to screencapture the error, and couldn't duplicate it again. Bottom line is that FuBar loads fine, vanilla, but no CheckFW to be found. I tried the / command again and it is still saying "NO".
The change log for FuBar reads:
r65601 | seerah | 2008-03-24 23:26:12 -0400 (Mon, 24 Mar 2008) | 1 line
FuBar: toc bumpage, per ck
The change log for CheckFearWardFu reads:
r57211 | evonder | 2007-12-19 19:30:43 -0500 (Wed, 19 Dec 2007) | 5 lines
- Updated TOC for 2.0.3
- Fixed RaidWarningFrame:AddMessage broken in 2.0.3
- Fixed FearWard cooldown time
- Possible fix to error in 'Low Time'
Hooray! Got an error message to report - BugGrabber started chatting at me last nite. I have two of them:
1. FuBar_CheckFearWard-2.1\CheckFearWardFu.lua:1: Ace Addon: AceOO-2.0: Library "AceHook=2.1" does not exist.
AtlasLoot=4.06.01\Libs\AceLibrary\AceLibrary.lua:122: in function <...face\AddOns\AtlasLoot\Libs\AceLibrary\AceLibrary.lua:75>
(tail call): ?:
(tail call): ?:
AceAddon-2.0-57245 (AtlasLoot):973: in function 'new'
FuBar_CheckFearWardFu-2.1\CheckFearWardFu.lua:1:in main chunk
2. Ogri'Lazy-1.1\Relic.de.lua:12: unexpected symbol near '?
Hopefully this is the clue to solve the mystery? : -)
So many thanks for all the help!
It appears that the addon author, when he last committed changes, uploaded a copied-and-pasted embeds.xml file from a no-externals zip... meaning the embedded libraries in CheckFearWardFu were never actually loaded by the game. The error message you posted indicates that it was able to find some of the libraries it needed embedded in AtlasLoot, but that it was unable to find a copy of AceHook-2.1. The author also forgot to embed AceOO-2.0 which is required for pretty much every other Ace2 library. I just committed a fix; it's untested, because I'm lazy, but should work, and you'll see it on the files listing (and through competent updaters) within 20 minutes.