1. Where can I look to find an accurate summary of what modules like "Cartographer_nnTrainers", "Cartographer_ExtractGas", "Cartographer_Data", etc. actually do? The one-line summaries in the Warcraft "Addons" screen just don't give enough information in some cases.
2. Where can I find the documentation for Cart and other modules?
3. Is "Cartographer_Fishing" broken?
4.Is Cartographer supposed to show me any of the quest-givers, trainers, or vendors in a town before I actually talk to them?
1. There is no such summary. :D If you ask, we'll answer though. Cartographer_(profession) are for the professions to mark data about where to gather nodes. Cartographer_Data contains a database of every herb/vein/treasure node from wowhead that overwrites your _herb/data/treasure on login. There is no data for Gas or Fishing.
2. There is no such documentation. Again, if you ask, we'll answer.
3. Cartographer_Fishing only works if you do not hide your tooltips immediately on mouse out of game world objects. This is usually due to you using Cowtip or Tinytip or some other addon that you instructed it to hide the tooltip imemdiately on mouseout of an object.
It is only possible to record a fishing node by checking the tooltip of the pool when you mouseover it and if an addon hides the tooltip, this is no longer possible. I fixed this issue in Cowtip by adding a small 3 line hack, but other tooltip addons do not have this fix.
Depends on needs, for instance me and Xinhaun are working on gathering mod, with 0 frills, just marks your map (and eventually Xinhauns Routes) it will work with any map mod. But again its just a simple no frills node tracker. Same gor for things like Mapster it just adds some minor non intrusive changes to the world map. Simple and light. Cartographer is teh cadillac of map mods .. tons of bells and whistles. The question you should really ask is, what do you need vs a frill you almost never use.
4. This is really too n00b: Assuming I have the appropriate subaddon, is Cartographer supposed to show me any of the quest-givers, trainers, or vendors in a town before I actually talk to them? Mine only shows NPC markers on the map once I have already visited them.
For quest givers, if you're using Cartographer_Quests, then the answer is: maybe. It has options that control whether or not you see the icons if you've already completed the quest, etc. etc. IIRC, you should be able to enable the option to show the quest givers all the time (no access to the game at this moment, so I can't verify I'm not misremembering this).
For vendors and trainers, it depends. I think I remember there being an option in Carto_Vendors to populate the map with a bunch of known vendors, but I don't think the list is complete any longer. Not sure if the same applies for Carto_Trainers.
There may be Cartographer databases out there for vendors and trainers, but I gave up on importing those sorts of things because they only clogged up my map to the point of unusability. :)
Note: In a backwards upside down word releases aren't tagged, the zip files are created from the trunk. Branches are used for developement instead of the trunk. Some consider this a misuse of how a subversion repository is supposed to work however it basically works fine and that's what users care about.
Bugs get fixed fast in the trunk, localization gets done asap and people can download the zip or update using the WowAceUpdater and be all good in no time
Likely to be out of date, incomplete, missing or wrong. Why?
People don't care about documentation, things move fast.. patches break things, features get added to mods overnight, no one gets paided to write documentation.. refer to my signature.
WowAceUpdater is a windows application that updates installed addons directly from the wowsvn, it's hugely popular and takes some serious time out of browsing/updating mods manually.. I would wager no other mod site has an updater exe (curse/wowi/incgamers) that has the user base WAU has.
Regarding Cartographer I recommend you remove what you downloaded from Curse then goto: http://files.wowace.com/cat-map.html or use an updater like WAU (or the java, mac, win command line, linux alternatives)
Cartographer (this is the core and included base modules)
Cartographer_Data (nodes for everything scrape'd from wowhead)
Cartographer_[ProfessionXYZ] (whatever profession data you want)
Cartographer_Routes (Generate a path to follow to farm the nodes in a zone)
.. the rest you probably don't want unless you have a particular need for something.
I would avoid Cartographer1, this is a maintained version of cartographer (ace2 libraries) before it was ported to Rock. It's OK but doesn't work with Cartographer_Routes last time I checked and Routes is awesome!
Basically Rock is Ace2.5 a refresh or fork or whatever you want to call it, there are developers working on Ace3 they have a different ideology to ckknight who makes (Pitbull, CowTip, Parrot, Cartographer and Fubar). CK made decided to singlehandly take/start from Ace2 and change/update/fix/refresh it for use in his own addons.
I just wondering wy the '!' marks don't show up (questgivers) i now in the older versions it does is it becose the new wow patch or something i mis in the addon?
I always update cartgrapher evry 2 days with WowAceUptader.Or is it becose i hit lv70?
ps:sorry for my bad english