www.wdnaddons.com is still broken (edit: in my dnscache that is), wdn.wowinterface.com (which you use in WAU) works just fine now though - both from my home and my remote server.
I agree it might be coincidence and I thought it could just have been an ad removed from the rotation - but I am 100% sure I had a crash with the wowdb ad before and don't anymore.
Maybe I'm lucky, but if more people report it fixed I would look into that code again. (Maybe it's a win32 issue with weird server responses or something, doesn't have to be your code per se.) I personally would find it suspicious that the crash syncs up so nicely with the failing wdn call.
Either way, you could also go the good old employed programmer route and be happy that the crash is fixed now and don't look further into the why question ;)
I used wdn.wowinterface.com to cross reference the client version with the interface version to be able to show the TOC version at the bottom statusbar and the addons with strikethroughs when you dont have "Load out of date addons" checked on your client. That part doesnt have anything to do with the ads, or the crashes. It just fails silently.
If that is the case, then my apologies for telling people to block your site Bela. (At least you know now that your redirect is broken ;))
Assuming this is correct then some sideeffect of me blocking that site must have stopped the crashes. Investigating...
That definitely found a redirect, but not to wdnaddons.com. Weird. Since oliverco.com and wdnaddons.com register the same administrative contact (you? ;)) I'll assume that something went wrong with the redirect and your provider set-up a redirect to another of your domains.
@Axil: I installed the 30 day trial of Ad Muncher for this.
Edit: this is a temporary fix for the WAU crash after roughly 30 seconds. Added a step-by-step guide below.
Edit2: According to the authors, wdnaddons is not the cause for the crash It seems that the solution really is to get an ad blocker that can block adds inside WAU. Modified the solution below.
I had a look at the http requests that WAU sends and found that it kept failing to retrieve www.wdnaddons.com (which is unreachable for me as well, though wdnaddons.com works. It does not seem to be a site that provides advertisement, so maybe the error is somewhere else?) I tried rerouting that request through hosts but failed.
Adding "" target="" data-ensure-absolute>www.wdnaddons.com" to the block list of an ad blocker succeeds however (without any other special entries for WAU).
I will gladly pay for the great program by looking at and clicking on ads - but as long as that crashes WAU I will be forced to stick to this solution.
Step 1: Download and install an ad blocker software (such as Ad Muncher) that allows you to block ads in non-browser applications.
Step 2: Tell your blocker to apply that its filters to the WAU executable.
Step 3: Launch WAU and pray ;)
Detailed for the use with Ad Muncher:
Step 1: Download Ad Muncher from http://www.admuncher.com/ and install it.
Step 2: Run WAU once and close it again.
Step 3: Doubleclick Ad Muncher symbol in your task bar.
Step 4: Click on the "Options" tab, then "Filter Targets"
Step 5: Select "wowaceupdater" from the "Recent" list and click "Filter".
Step 6: Click "Apply".
Step 7 : Launch WAU :)