Alright. Basically I changed a ton of stuff on this venture. I've debugged it quite a bit, but I'm still having problems and I don't know what my next step is. The diff I'm including is from I think the original, but in any case, I'm delivering the full code with the diff.
Pardon me if this is already addressed. My strong suspicion is that it's not, but I did glance the first and the third pages, and didn't notice a reference.
Problem: I'm not sure if it's the download time or process time, but the script takes about 15 seconds (not having timed it officially) every run, and more if I'm on wireless at school. I can understand and tolerate the time it takes to run the script, but if there's a better way, there's a better way. 8)
Suggestion: What I'd like to see is that the latest(-noext)?.xml be downloaded once per, say, 10 minutes.
Reason: Sometimes I like to add an addon, and then remember that there was another addon I needed too.
Addendum: Also I noticed that the default location you had set for non-Windows non-Mac systems is /usr/local/games/World of Warcraft/Interface/Addons which is unlikely if it wasn't done under root. My diff and alternative script file indicate that it should be ~/.wine/drive_c/World of Warcraft in most cases. Maybe other people have other experiences. (I use Ubuntu 7.10 if that's relevant.)
Other than that, wowace.py an awesome script. Automating anything is nice. :)
I wish I knew Python better, because my patch is hardly acceptable and very incomplete, but you might get my idea having read this post and seen my patch diff.
Perhaps instead of you writing a patch for it, maybe I could, if you give me a little bit of guidance. I really want to learn Python, and this I think would be a good exercise for me. Even if you do or someone else does, I'd definitely like access to the diff so I can see how it was written in.
Anyone considering using a script as I described in this post may get something out of reading my code, but it is NOT usable in its current state.