It's rather sad, seriously... We gotta get people to read damn stickies around here :P
People need to learn, if no one tells them what they need to do or what mistakes they did, they will never learn.
I already gave the clue - planning.
And it isn't sad at all, people need to learn. You and I, and everybody else who never had problems learned it earlier in life. Now they need to learn it as well. We need to be "active" not "passive", tell them what and where they need to improve, not just watch them.
You could punch some people square in the face with it, and some still wouldn't read it. Welcome to internets. D:
Then it's time to call for Thread Locking. It's times like these that thread locking is highly important.
Here's a suggestion:
1) Agree on a common thread where it explains the answers to the Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ) - I strongly suggest a Q: and A: format, short and direct
2) Give some people the power to lock threads - people who you can trust that will lock threads solely for this purpose alone
3) Every time a thread will be locked, the Thread Locker must reply first and post the URL as agreed upon in #1 above.
4) #1 above can be a locked thread, so no one replies back. At the end of the FAQ, it can be put "No further discussion". But that will be too harsh. So instead
5) "Post questions not covered by the FAQ by replying to this thread" then "any replies that only adds to the flame will be deleted outright".
That's my solution and suggestion. It has to end sooner or later, and the sooner it is controlled, the better.