I'm thinking instead of sticking with the default three bar view, I may condense it to two bars, expanding them to take the same space as the original, then lengthening the bars so I can fit the name and HP text on the bars, akin to most unit frames. Gotta play with the art some more.
I figure what I can do for the pet frame is just make another texture. I'm not sure I'm keen on blowing up the original so much though. But I've no clue on how to apply scaling properly, and I'm not sure how many "features" I want to spend time implementing when the whole idea is to be a miniscule one-time-only mod.
The new texture isn't perfect, it still needs a little cleaning up. It's a fair bit larger than the original default. I think I destroyed the pet frame in the process of making it though, I'm not entirely sure how that original texture is only partially shown ^^.
The portrait is rendered on top, I can't find a way to drop it behind. Probably something stupid I'm overlooking.
Alignment is all sorts of off. Seems the top of the PlayerFrame is the top left corner of the screen. So just using SetAllPoints doesn't work as I'd like. The glow I can modify no problem. Same with the health and mana bars, I hope. I'm at a loss for the name text though.
Far from perfect, and I'm more than a little lost. Thanks for all the help so far in IRC and on here. Id pointed me to DevTools, which helps a little but I'm still having trouble finding names of regions and such.
After seeing Industrial's most recent screenshots (here), I had a sudden hankering for trying to get a slim, minimalist layout based at least somewhat on the default UI. I've always liked the default UI, and generally use custom stuff because, while it's aesthetically pleasing, it's a little too bulky and often doesn't display nearly enough information.
Here's what I'm looking to do...
* Raise the height of the health and mana bars. This is so I can...
* Add health and mana text to the bars in such a way that leaves them readable. This means trhe text's height must be smaller than the bar's height by a couple pixel margin.
* Move the playerframe, target frame, and ToT frame to the common center-bottom position (see Industrial's screenshots).
* Crazy idea! A glowing ring around the player frame portrait, ala XPFuXP, depicting exp / rep.
* Use ADAPT for animated portraits, because I'm a sucker for eyecandy.
* Possibly display debuffs and / or buffs (filtered?) on the player frame.
* Show maximum allowed debuffs and buffs on the target. Hijack Blizzard's nifty texture shrinking algorithm if possible to make it look cool.
* Use level orb to depict elite status, and possibly another orb to depict enemy racial type of class (if player).
* Make movable and flippable, so that two can face the opposite direction (bars grow in same direction, but the portrait will be on the right).
* Again, enlarge health and mana bars in such a way as text can be added and remain readable.
* Keep only the main ten buttons, but keep the default art, including the endcaps (dragons).
* Use pagemaster! Also try and get bars to switch on melee for hunter.
* Increase fade speed.
This is what I want to do so far. I'm thinking everything should fit with the circle and line design of the default UI whenever possible. Any suggestions of mods to start off with for ripping apart, and some hints on where to start with editing the default UI elements, please let me know.