As far as I can remember back in beta or early wow release patches wow had a problem with too much channel traffic. And as CTRA sent tons of info via that channel at that time, the queuing system was necessary. If you now watch the channel manually you'll see that not much info is handled via that channel anymore. So I guess this could wait a bit, at least until we see that is's really necessary.
While CTRA was necessary in wow beta and pre 1.5, as the blizzard ui/api was missing lots of functions (e.g. checking raid buffs, raid unit frames,...), CTRA now has developed to a huge pile of tools, out of which some raids require some, and some players use some. I doubt there's anyone who is using all of CTRA though.
So in case someone really starts coding a AceRaidAssist, I'd suggest the following:
1) identify the tools CTRA offers, and see if there are any ace'd tools that can be used instead. Publish that list.
2) identify what the hidden chat channel is used for (afaik: list of MTs, resist/durability/item queries, ready/vote, squelch (ouch, this hooks the blizzard ChatFrame_onEvent), version check).
3) program a core module which isn't more than a kind of addon manager for ctra-like addons. It might contain some core features, such as chat channel joining, parsing, the notification frame in the middle of the screen for /rs (also used by ct bossmod).
4) release an api to this core.
5) let the community develop plugins, e.g.:
- resistance/durability/item/... check
- MT windows with target of target
- aggro alert
- recast raid buffs
- rainvite/rakeyword (for guild invitations)
- resurrection monitor
6) keep compatibility to CTRA for the chat channel stuff and queries
7) use Ace ;)
PS: tools CTRA offers which can be replaced by the usage of other addons might be:
- raid frames + buff filtering + debuff coloring (MiniGroup2 should offer this soon)
- healing spell cancellation (lots of healing mods have this)
- debuffing (decursive? well, we might need a better replacement ;)
- emergency monitor (think there is at least one addon)